Tuesday 16 September 2008

I can haz controversy?

Sweet Pea has been made famous lately. She is the featured model of the Modified Drops Eyelet Baby Cardi on Ravelry, due to a great photo of her in her Strawberry Sunset sweater. She is featured on the February Lady Sweater pattern page as well, albeit in utero. Today, however, she was rocketed into Ravelry stardom (infamy??) with a thread in the forums.

Turns out my cute little project page on her development from conception to birth is a source of controversy. Some people are being downright hateful about it, some people are really positive about it . . . all in all, I feel between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand, she is NOT a knitting project, and therefore doesn't belong in my notebook. On the other hand, it took me 40 long weeks to make her, she is the most beautiful, wonderous, amazing thing I've ever made, and I want everyone to see her. I love the comments, the congratulations, the excitement that surrounds her. And I love seeing the pics of my belly expanding. The pics were not saved to the PC, and they are no longer accesible via flickr - if I delete the project, that record is gone.

I dont' know what to do. I recieved notification from Ravelry admin that the project has been noted as not in the spirit of Rav, they hinted that it should be removed, but also said it didn't have to be.

I feel like I've done something wrong. I never should have read the thread - now I feel unwelcome and shunned . . . and I know that's just silly. No one will remember who posted the project of their pregnancy, and it's not like there aren't others who did it (I was first though), but I feel like I'm being accused of wrecking Ravelry. And that sucks!

5 comments:

Hazy said...

I am completely on your side. I have some other cute projects. Even Casey has 'Jess' as one of his projects. Or he used to anyway.

I just wanted to let you know you can get those pictures back. If you click on the flickr link under the thumbnail it takes you to the page in flickr, then you can see all sizes and download the ones you don't have. I hope that helps.

KSD said...

That is so ridiculous! Some people must have too much time on their hands. I thought it was cute, and I still do. Don't let them get to you.
Michelle

Knittingmummy said...

Hi, found your blog from Ravelry just wanted to say, your baby is lovely and don't let the whole thing get you down, some people seem to want something to moan about. I think it is a lovely idea and have personally faved it on there. It will be someone elses turn to upset people very soon.
Amanda.x

Trixie said...

that totally sucks. i thought it was a really sweet thing you did, creating your sprout project page.

i don't spend much time in the forums, but it seems to me that there are REAMS of threads on non-knitting topics. how much space are they taking up in the database?

i say keep your sprout page. this will blow over. you are not cluttering up ravelry with your daughter's pictures.

Anonymous said...

love your baby...cutest of the cute...keep knitting...and don't think of the sourpusses ever again.
patricia