Tuesday, 28 August 2007

Free to breathe again!

Well, the wedding is over - went off fairly well. It was strange, but it's done now. Thankfully.

In fact, the August madness is over now!
Now we head into the September madness. And then the busiest month of the year for Mr. Wonderful and I -- October.

But we have a lot of catching up to do here!

Knitting Roadtrip!
In the midst of the August madness, Jen and I went to Toronto for some shopping. Yarn shopping! And while she bought (seemingly) one of everything in every store, I found a lot less to love.
I did, however, purchase a drop spindle and some lovely silk/merino roving.
And then some merino roving. And some more pink yarn. And a delicious angora/silk blend. It was white, but then I dyed it.
All in all, the trip was a roaring success, and we definitely plan to do it again. I hope we plan to do it again soon.

The Shower:
Well, a bunch of people showed up who hadn't RSVP'd, so that effed things up a bit. But it went well, all things considered. Mom was highly offended that no one spent all their time fawning over her.

The interim week:
Pure. Madness. Emergency training sessions cropped up at work, so I had to cancel the day I had booked off to catch my breath pre-wedding. I took Thursday and Friday off, though, and did this:

How cool exactly is that? I mean really?? It rocks my socks. Mr. Wonderful even thinks it's cool.

I don't think I'll do the suggested repeated skulls, just one on either end.

And on Saturday, I cast on for this:

Yep, that's right . . . Clapotis.

And the yarn is the Angora/silk blend with my crazy dye job. I think it's destined for over-dying after knitting.

And then we were off to the wedding.

The Wedding:
Cripes . . . where to begin?
Most disorganized affair ever. Guests didn't know where to go or what to do, bride went MIA, stuff and people milling about, DJ up and left . . . yikes.
Let's begin at the beginning. 11am. Mr. Wonderful and I are showered and dressing, thinking we're doing great and will be super-omega early. Wedding at 3, ETA: 1:30 or 2.
The phone rings.
Brother: PANIC
Me: Calm down
Brother: PANIC
Me: slightly less calm
Brother: PANIC
Me: Alright, alright!!
We leave. We drive really fast because we are apparently about to hit a huge traffic snag. No such snag was ever encountered, however a speed trap was. We got a ticket. Damn. It.
We arrive chez Brother at 1:45ish. We get the pertinent info, and then head to the yacht club for the wedding. And let me just say YACHT CLUB MY ASS!! That was a marina with a shitty motel. Period.
Where is the bride? No one knows. But, as I'm supposed to be seating people I need to know what the hell is going on. No one can tell me. I seethe. I get uncomfortable. I find my parents room. Inside, my parents are far more relaxed and groovy than they should be. Mom is in the bath. Dad is in shorts and a t-shirt. 10 minutes to wedding. I flash back to my wedding day, when they made me late. Mom complains of being dizzy. It's always about her.
People are seated, weird-ass ceremony begins.
LONG time later, guests are still sitting, but now it's raining. Outdoor weddings, eh?
Kiss, wedding is over, thank god . . . now the pics, and then a LONG wait until reception. Hang out in parents room again. Mr. Wonderful goes for coffee -- and comes back about 45 minutes later. He took my knitting bag with him.
Reception: the MC thing went well. I drank a little. 10:00, we go home.
We hit a raccoon on the way home. Yuck.

1 comment:

Batty said...

You survived and things went well. Relax, have fun!