Sunday 28 October 2007

Rhinebeck!

I finally took some time and worked out the whole flickr to blogger thing! Woot! Now I can share my Rhinebeckian experience with y'all.

First off, it all began on Friday morning. We knew we had a long, long drive ahead of us, so we were on the road by 9 am. It wasn't long until we hit the border.

It was a little bit busy at the border. It only took a few minutes though, and we were stateside.

Of course, it was a kind of a miserable day . . . lots of rain, lots of grey. At one point, it was raining so hard, you could hardly see out the windows!

But Jen is a very level-headed driver, and she got us through it easy peasy.

It was just getting dark when we arrived at our motel and checked into our room. There were lots of knitters there, hanging yarn by the door to get other knitter's attention. It worked! I got totally busted fondling some yarn outside of one door. It was really soft, for what it's worth. *blush*

The next day, we got up really early. Etcgirl wanted to get her some STR, so we had to be at the gates when they opened. And we almost made it! We were just a few minutes 'late'.


There's Etcgirl looking pleased to be at Rhinebeck, and JennyP looking anxious to bust down the gates and get to the yarn! She was practically doing a 'let's go, let's go, let's go' dance in the parking lot.

The first day we hit a lot of tents and looked at a lot of yarn. It was absolutely lovely. Yarn Mecca, if you will.

We went to the Knitty meetup. Sadly, it coincided with the fleece sale, so there weren't many peeps there.

Now, I went with a set budget. I took cash. I told myself 'self, this is cash you can spend' I gave myself permission to go a little hog wild. Want to see what I bought on the FIRST day? Okay, I'll show you.


Yes, that's right . . . I bought myself a lovely drop spindle, and a few ounces of fibre to go with it. I spent less than $60. Not even 25% of my budget. See, I have this problem. I won't spend money. I just won't. And then all of a sudden, I'll go crazy and spend way too much money. Saturday, I was not spending money. I had a chat with my companions, and they promised to help me spend my money on Sunday.


We went to the Ravelry party, which was sadly kind of a bust . . . it was PACKED and impossible to move and this was all I saw . . . .

Well, that and the smoking area. But once it cleared out a bit, I got to say hello to Jess - Mama Rav. That was pretty cool!

Sunday I bought yarn! Etcgirl and JennyP helped me plow through my cash, and I'm really pleased with my purchases. I'll have to show them off later. We met more knitties. We left the festival, and hit Target for a little more shopping. There are some truly interesting chocolates on the shelves of Target. I brought Mr. Wonderful a Choxie with peanut butter and pretzels. He loved it. I also bought the now-famous pregnancy test, which I took at the motel. You know the results. :)

Monday we headed back to our regular lives.

Generally I don't like to be away from home. I'm far too much of a homebody to be 27 . . . but there it is. I have to say, at Rhinebeck, I did not pine for home once. I missed my husband, but I was really glad I went. I met some truly awesome people, ate some delicious peanut butter cookies, and got some great yarn. I'm sorry I'll miss it next year, but I think a festival of this magnitude, an 8 hour drive and a three - four month old baby may not be conducive. Sad but true.

2 comments:

Batty said...

Wow, great times! I'm absolutely going next year, no question about it (unless I end up with a law school conflict).

You're 27 and a homebody, I'm 31 and a homebody, and I've been one since... well, since forever, really. My current excuse is that I work my butt off and that I'm away from home 12 hours a day, 5 days a week. Then, when the weekend comes around, I don't want to go anywhere.

Sarah said...

Hey, I'm a total homebody, and I love it!

Hugs, so good to meet you guys.